Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GUIDE] Rage

edited February 2014 in Game Specific Guides
How to enable developer mode

There are 2 ways:

i) Right click the game icon in your steam library and select properties, then click on Set Launch Options and enter +set com_allowconsole 1. Click ok and you are ready, just press the "~" button on your keyboard when ingame and the console will appear.

ii) Navigate to your steam install folder and to \steamapps\common\RAGE\base. Then create a text file and name it rageconfig.cfg (make sure to check the extension of your file is "cfg" and not "cfg.txt").

Paste the following com_allowconsole 1 and save. When ingame press the "~" button and the console will appear.

How to enable 16k Textures

Open your Rageconfig and paste the following:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384 
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
Since the latest patches 8k texures are used when you set the ingame setting "Texture Cache" to "Large"

Useful Graphic tweaks

You must put these commands in your Rageconfig, you can change any of these from the ingame console too.
  • vt_maxPPF 64 (This can reduce texture streaming, lower values reduce texture pages per frame thus reducing pop-in but textures take longer to load. For Quad Cores use 32 or 64 ,for Dual Cores 8 or 16. Default value is 128)
  • vt_feedbacklodbias -2 (This variable makes textures in the distance appear more detailed. Default value is 0)
  • image_lodbias -2 (This variable will increase the sharpness of everything on the screen. Default value is 0)
  • vt_lodbias -2 (This variable will increase the sharpness of textures. Default value is -2)
  • image_anisotropy 16 (This controls the level of Anisotropic Filtering used. Default value is 1)
  • vt_maxaniso 4 (This controls the level of Anisotropic Filtering the engine uses. Default value is 2)

64Bit executable ONLY

Since Rage first launched ,cvars were unlocked and you could tweak many things ,but they locked most of them in the latest patches. There's a 64Bit executable option to run the game in steam ,this uses Rage toolkit which has all cvars available (i think).
The rageConfig for the 64Bit version can be found in \steamapps\common\RAGE\base\SAVES\base. You can copy paste the commands you used for the 32Bit and paste them at the bottom of the file.

Put these commands in your rageConfig since the 64Bit has at default lower IQ , you can change any of these from the ingame console too.
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
  • r_dimShadowResolution 1024 (The game uses baked shadows into the textures but characters cast dynamic shadows. You can use a higher value like 2048 for sharper shadows if you don't enable the command below. Default values is 768)
  • r_dimShadowForceHighQuality 1 (This variable forces higher quality shadow, you can experiment with different values of shadow resolution to see what you prefer. Default values is 0)
  • r_highlightfrequency 0 (This variable disables the annoying glow on objects you can pick up and interact with. Default values is 0.75)
  • image_usecompression 0

How to bind keys to commands

To bind any command to a specific key you must write them in your rageconfig.cfg (both 32 & 64 Bit). For example to use the F6 key for the noclip command just write the following:

bind F6 “noclip”

and save

To toggle any command (enable/disable with one key):

bind F7 “toggle g_showhud”

It's useful to bind both the HUD and hide hands/weapons with one key like this:

bind F8 "toggle g_showhud;toggle hands_show"

Useful commands for Screenshots

You can bind any of the commands to any key to avoid having to enter the console each time.
  • noclip (pass through walls, fly around)
  • g_showhud 0 (Disables HUD ,default value is 1)
  • hands_show 0 (Shows hands/weapons or hide them. Default value is 1)
  • g_fov 40 (This controls the Field of View, use any value. Default is 80)
  • god (Enables god mode. If you don't have The Scorchers DLC installed, use g_permagodmode 1 instead.)
  • r_skipglare 1 (Disables certain post-processing effects. Default values is 0)
  • notarget (Your player becomes invisible)
64Bit executable ONLY
  • g_stoptime (Freezes everything while the player can still move around)
  • vehicle_birdsView 1 (Bird-eye view while driving ,default value is 0)
  • dof_blur 0.35 (Default value)
  • dof_far 100000.0 (Default value)
  • dof_focus -1 (Default value)
  • dof_focusScale 2.0 (Default value)
  • dof_lerpPerFrame 0.1 (Default value)
  • dof_near 0.0 (Default value)
  • dof_useFocusScale 1 (Default value)
Dof is visible when you holster your weapon ,then you can hide HUD & Weapon and use Timestop. The DOF stays and you can now walk very close to characters. Many locations have different Color Grading ,using Timestop and traveling to different locations using noclip you can maintain the Color Grading of the location you used Timestop (Thanks Pixie!)

How to take screenshots

Similar to ID Tech 4 ,you can render screenshots with Anti-aliasing using this format:

screenshot blends 64 .tga (64 is the amount of Anti-aliasing rendered ,enter the name of your screenshot in place of the and you can also use other extensions like "png" or "jpg" )

How to force higher resolutions

You can run Rage in higher resolutions with the use of SRWE for the 32 bit executable and Windowed Borderless Gaming for the 64 bit executable.

SRWE
  1. Change your Desktop resolution to your maximum you can down-sample from (the same applies if you have a second monitor)
  2. Run the game in Window Mode
  3. Find what you want to screenshot first (align,composition etc)
  4. ALT-TAB to Desktop
  5. Open SRWE and Select running Application. Choose Rage
  6. Change a Width & a height in the Window position and size (for example Width=5120 & Height=2880)
  7. Render screenshots with AA using the given command
  8. Once finished taking a screenshot change back the resolution in SRWE so the window is visible in your screen
Windowed Borderless Gaming
  1. Change your Desktop resolution to your maximum you can down-sample from (the same applies if you have a second monitor)
  2. Run the game in Window Mode
  3. Find what you want to screenshot first (align,composition etc)
  4. ALT-TAB to Desktop
  5. Open WBG ,right click on the program in the task bar and select "Add Window F3"
  6. ALT-TAB back to the game and press F3 (This may take some tries until the program initialize the game)
  7. Once the game is boardless ALT-TAB again ,right click on the program in the task bar and select "Open game settings"
  8. Change the resolution (for example Width=5120 & Height=2880) and hit apply
  9. Render screenshots with AA using the given command
  10. Once finished taking a screenshot change back the resolution in WBG so the window is visible in your screen

Have Fun :)

Comments

• Sweet. Ass. Guide.
  • Indeed. Well organized. Very comprehensive. *thumbs up*
  • Thanks!Did the best i could. There're many cvars but i don't have the time to check each one individually ,although i don't think it'll make any difference in this game either way.I'll update if i or someone else finds anything useful
  • Stein3x delivers! Thanks a bunch.
  • edited February 2014
    Stein3x, helpful as always. Thanks man!

Is there a way to resize the 64bit window? SRWE only works with the 32bit version of the game.
    So it's either Timestop, or 4k+.
  • edited February 2014
    5120x2880 would be plenty for me I think. Get a better monitor :P

Heh. There's seemingly no way to forcibly resize a 64bit window at present. I've searched and found nothing.
  • Over 4k with those textures? Whatever is the point?
  • For the illusion of better IQ
  • Actually, I've never tried running the game with those turd-polishing filters they introduced. Maybe they'd benefit from higher resolutions? Dammit though, Rage, fool me once...
  • edited February 2014
    I'm trying to update the guide to include WBG for the 64bit but damn there's a character limit and i'm over 830 :( . Maybe better write a separate guide for WBG and link to it?
  • Please i need some third person commands. Especially command with free camera in third person. I want freeze character but with movable camera or static camera with movable character.

I found only

pm_thirdperson
    pm_thirdpersonheight
    pm_thirdpersonangle
  • I'm pretty sure that's impossible - I spent enough time trying. I'm not even sure there are any decent animations or idles for the thirdperson model.
  • edited February 2014
    Marcelus said:

Please i need some third person commands. Especially command with free camera in third person. I want freeze character but with movable camera or static camera with movable character.

I too don't think it's possible ,i knew of these third person cvars but there's no point in using them as you don't have control over the camera ,it's fixed behind your character :P .The same applies when you drive your vehicle ,you can't "noclip" while you're driving around
  • djh_ said:

I'm pretty sure that's impossible - I spent enough time trying. I'm not even sure there are any decent animations or idles for the thirdperson model.

Animations are bad but for images can possibly serve. I try yesterday but if is character only in middle is not usable.

Stein3x
    I too don't think it's possible ,i knew of these third person cvars but there's no point in using them as you don't have control over the camera ,it's fixed behind your character :P .The same applies when you drive your vehicle ,you can't "noclip" while you're driving around
    with pm_thirdpersonangle you can rotate camera around the person. It is not practical but it works
  • Yes , i meant that the camera is fixed behind the player ,you turn the camera around and the player does too ,there's no way i know of to manipulate the camera in third person mode unless you use CE i guess. There's an enormous list of cvars here , maybe there's something useful