Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Shot Clinic

Comments

• Thanks @midhras for yours constructive comment. I totally agree with all of yours opinions: the first shot is better overall in term of composition; and those shots are lacking of some drama, some "asmosphrere" though. I will try to capture that in my future pics. Hope you would give me more advices then :-D.
  • edited May 2015
    Some more pics that I really want to hear criticisms:

• So just began taking screenshots of games after I saw this website recently and wanted to try for myself. I can tell they're pretty bad but I don't really know how to improve. Also do I need special screenshotting software or can I just use steam? And I have heard of downsampling but I don't really understand it or know how to use.imageimageimageimage
    I know I forgot to turn off the UI so just disregard that. I'm sure there are plenty of other things to critique.
  • edited June 2015
    Deleted.
  • Hey guys, first time posting anything here. Not sure if the general quality and level of post-processing is high enough to quality for DET but I'll give it a shot :)image
    Just realized in the preview that direct upload to here drastically shrinks the image, real size is 6300x1300. Anything I can do to prevent that?
  • Hey num1d1um, sweet capture. I'm not an elder-scroll "lore master" - is it Morrowind island?
    Also I'm sincerely curious to know what tools/technics you used? Is it a tiled shot - I guess (hope?) not - what was your fov? (when I try to work with panorama, I'm always lost with the super wide ratio and fail to define a proper angle)

I think the "Barbarella" server doesn't want to store tons of data and automatically resize it to decrease size/server response time?!
    Embed an inside link to a dedicated photograph host.
  • If you have a link to an image that has been uploaded elsewhere, you can edit your post and change the URL link. That way the small image is shown on the site, but if someone clicks it, they'll see a larger image elsewhere.
  • Hey num1d1um, sweet capture. I'm not an elder-scroll "lore master" - is it Morrowind island?
    Also I'm sincerely curious to know what tools/technics you used? Is it a tiled shot - I guess (hope?) not - what was your fov? (when I try to work with panorama, I'm always lost with the super wide ratio and fail to define a proper angle)

I think the "Barbarella" server doesn't want to store tons of data and automatically resize it to decrease size/server response time?!
    Embed an inside link to a dedicated photograph host.

If you have a link to an image that has been uploaded elsewhere, you can edit your post and change the URL link. That way the small image is shown on the site, but if someone clicks it, they'll see a larger image elsewhere.

It's "Morrowind Island", yeah. It's called Vvardenfell. The only tool I used is Morrowind Graphics Extender XE, which enables Dx9, virtually unlimited draw distance and a bunch of modern render features like Bokeh DOF, Godrays, atmospheric lighting, SSAO and Bloom to name a few. It's not tiled, I wouldn't know how to do a tiled shot. I have two monitors, one 1920x1080 and one 1440x900, so I run the game in a 6300x1300 window so that the lower centre of the menu screen(which I need access to in order to get in-game) is just at the edge of the right screen. Since I know my way around the island I can then set up shots, but there's obviously a lot of guess work involved because I can only see ~40% of the image. The fov is 80, which is more than Morrowind default but way less than MGEs recommended for my resolution(obviously). I have macros set up in-game to allow me to change it up on the fly, I try and keep it low enough for the edges to not be skewed but wide enough to not feel overly zoomed in. 80 works out pretty well most of the time. If anyone here knows how to do tiled shots I'd love to know, I'm kinda frustrated by the limits of my screens. The highest I've been able to go is 6600x1300 but if I had a 4K monitor instead of my 900p one I could push it to 11500*2460.
  • Hey everyone.

First post here, long time lurker.

Pretty run of the mill shots, I don't really know any "screenshottery" theory, I just capture what looks nice while mindlessly tinkering with shaders. What i do know is that Reshade is a beautiful thing. I've Been using the new emboss, adaptive sharpen and bump mapping shaders in the 1.0 release to nice effect, they really make details pop. The games here are obviously really easy ones in terms of getting nice shots, but there are only so many open world games with nice aesthetics available to play at the end of the day,

• edited February 2016
    I don't understand, are you posting to have critique? Because those are some fine submissions. The grain in the first is a little too noticeable and the last one is generic and done by everyone but the vantage point is powerful. From these you obviously have a sense for composition, also the sharpening in ReShade isn't overdone. I just don't see why you're posting here.
  • The grain in the first shot is just the default from that game, I believe. Though there is a texmod texture out there that will allow you to remove it.
  • edited August 2015
    Oh okay, guess I've mainly seen texmod'd shots from it without.
  • edited September 2015
    Hi, guys!
    I create ingame panoramas. And finding your site made me feel total newbie.
    Hope you'd criticise my shots: Dishonored, Cradle, Dear Esther and Rage games.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • edited February 2016
    Leggi said:

Hope you'd criticise my shots: Dishonored, Cradle, Dear Esther and Rage games.

I've seen these sitting here for the past month but hesitated to make any critique since they're such common, standard fare locations.

They have a pretty good balance. The Dear Esther cave works the best, the spookily inviting path and atmosphere is compelling and packed with details. The RAGE shot is interesting with the curves of the lights and the depth from using a higher FOV, and its asymmetrical composition.

The Cradle shot is bland and the high FOV makes no sense.
    The Dishonored stairs shot, good framing but this is exactly how you discover it in the game and I guess I've just seen this shot one dozen too many times.
  • imageimageimageimage

Amateur screenshot artist here, looking to improve my future works. I could really use a hand.
    ** And reviving the thread :D **