Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Guide] Hitman 2016

Comments

• edited November 2016
    That's really strange about timestop as it has always completely stopped time for me. I also don't seem to have that crashing issue and the camera works fine on the Bangkok level. I'm even using CE 6.5 still.
  • never047 said:

Yup, 1.7 Steam version
    6.6 CE version

Do you have 6.6.0.1 or 6.6? As they fixed a bug in 6.6.0.0:
    10/10/2016:6.6.0.1: Fixed align
  • I should have the latest version since I've just downloaded it yesterday. I'll give it a try with 6.5

I've also just realized that I've been using it in online mode..I'll give it a shot in offline when I get the chance later today
  • never047 said:

I should have the latest version since I've just downloaded it yesterday. I'll give it a try with 6.5

I've also just realized that I've been using it in online mode..I'll give it a shot in offline when I get the chance later today

Just tested it with CE 6.6 (latest version), in bangkok, everything works fine, including timestop. I use online profile (as I haven't figured out yet how to create an offline profile).
  • Okay, I've tried running it in offline mode and now I have fully functional freecam in Bangkok, still no timestop though.
    As for crashing, it still happens but it seems to only happen when I try to turn on/off the cam a few times. If I just enable it and roam around then it works fine.

Btw kudos on getting the camera to work so smooth, thanks for the effort :)

• I'm seeing the same thing as never047. The camera works well except it crashes every time I disable the camera toggle with the INS key.
  • If you start the intro level with the helicopter on the helipad, and enable/disable the camera toggle there, does it crash there too or only in certain areas? Btw you don't need to disable the camera INS toggle, just enable/disable the camera with END. Press INS when you start playing, no need to disable it (as it simply inserts a hook, no functionality)
  • Still seems to crash on that intro level. Not a huge problem as you can get around it by not disabling.

The only other thing I've noticed is that when aim shooting and stopping time that your torso follows the camera orientation when moving the mouse. A really good lumbar stretch if done right. =)
  • edited December 2016
    One3rd said:

Still seems to crash on that intro level. Not a huge problem as you can get around it by not disabling.

Yeah I think it's a timing issue where you disable the thread created by the init causes a crash as it's perhaps still mid-way into something. Odd I never ran into it though. You can reproduce it reliably every time you disable with INS? If you only enable it with INS, and then disable it, does it crash then? Or only if you have certain settings enabled and then press INS?

The only other thing I've noticed is that when aim shooting and stopping time that your torso follows the camera orientation when moving the mouse. A really good lumbar stretch if done right. =)
    haha saw that too :) Wanted to do an arty shot where he held his gun aimed down but indeed that didn't work because moving the camera caused the game to move the gun too. A corkscrew emerged ;).
  • OtisInf said:

You can reproduce it reliably every time you disable with INS? If you only enable it with INS, and then disable it, does it crash then? Or only if you have certain settings enabled and then press INS?

Everytime so far yes. I'll try just enabling and then disabling though, every other time I was also using the camera,fov, and timestop. The smooth camera with correct orientation is too good to pass up on though, I'll just have to make sure I don't bump the Insert key.
  • Not sure if this helps but it looks like it crashes after enabling the camera injection script and then toggling the free camera script. As long as I don't toggle the camera script then it will disable without a problem, as soon as I toggle the camera script it will crash the next time I disable the camera system script.
  • edited December 2016
    One3rd said:

Not sure if this helps but it looks like it crashes after enabling the camera injection script and then toggling the free camera script. As long as I don't toggle the camera script then it will disable without a problem, as soon as I toggle the camera script it will crash the next time I disable the camera system script.

Thanks for the feedback! :) Will see if I can figure out what might cause it and take steps to mitigate them :)

(edit) I for the life of me can't get it to crash :( I used CE 6.6 latest, to be sure. CE is also weird though. Enabling the setting 'Deactivating this entry also deactivates its children' doesn't work here either... the child nodes stay active. So having the top node activated with INS, then enable camera with DEL and then pressing INS should disable camera as well, but keeps it active. Deactivating them separately works, so it's not a bug with deactivating them :(

For now I sadly have to give up, perhaps I'll think of something later, sorry. :(
  • edited December 2016
    I did get it to crash the other night actually. I was wandering around Marrakesh with the freecam. Found an angle to take a screenshot of. Alt-tabbbed... forgot I didn't do the camera lock, alt-tabbed back in and the game crashed. I didn't try to investigate any further though and just played something else instead :P

I updated the guide to point to the new table by Otis. Let me know if any of thethe instructions are incorrect.
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks. I cleaned up the gist as well, the old table doesn't work anymore anyway :) I found that the address where the coords/vector are located changes per level, this can be a problem in an edge case where the address changes and the code is in the middle of the routine to calculate a new coord and writes it into memory that's no longer used for coordinates. But I doubt that's it, considering the frequency it happens.
  • edited December 2016
    As I'm working on a camera system that can be injected like Hatti's cameras I use Hitman as my testcase as everything we need to know is known and it allows you to attach the VC++ debugger without crashing. After a lot of wasted time trying to get the game to eat my calculated camera view matrix I realized it works differently: it uses a quaternion + point rotation system. The values locked by the mouselock is the quaternion (which is a vector with a rotation around that vector combined), and that's all the game uses. It doesn't store a camera view matrix in memory to mess with (the ones that are there are barely used in practice).

At first I was a bit disappointed because it would mean there wouldn't be tilt in the camera, till I realize that the quaternion which represents the look direction of course contains a rotation (as it's a quaternion ;)) so I went that route, namely rotation of the quaternion around 3 axis and store that at the position of the game's look quaternion.

Et viola:

http://i.imgur.com/Zdm7DM7.jpg

Of course this is what we need :) Camera is still a big ball of mud so I have a lot of cleaning up to do and add more features like timestop and fov, but the biggest hurdles are taken. The camera also starts pointing downwards which isn't ideal as well, but which is the result of the worldaxis orientation of the game (Z upwards, while D3D uses Y upwards)...