Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Photo Mode Design

Hi,

We are currently designing a photo mode for our new game (Shadow Warrior 2) and I seek a bit of help here - what kind of features would you like to see in a photo mode. We simply loved amazing screenshots made for our previous game (http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=93) and if anyone decides to do a new batch for the SW2 we want it to be as painless as possible.

Current photo mode features:
- Free camera (fly mode)
- UI is hidden
- Custom res screenshots
- Supersampled screenshots
- FOV slider
- DOF settings

What kind of other features do you think would be helpful?

Thanks!

Comments

• Timestop & slowmotion.
    Free camera with unlimited range.
  • edited August 2016

Hi,

We are currently designing a photo mode for our new game (Shadow Warrior 2) and I seek a bit of help here - what kind of features would you like to see in a photo mode. We simply loved amazing screenshots made for our previous game (http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=93) and if anyone decides to do a new batch for the SW2 we want it to be as painless as possible.

Current photo mode features:
    - Free camera (fly mode)
    - UI is hidden
    - Custom res screenshots
    - Supersampled screenshots
    - FOV slider
    - DOF settings

What kind of other features do you think would be helpful?

Thanks!

It sounds very cool.

- Timestop.
    - Field of view without restrictions. Would like to be able to use values up to "0".
    - When you use the free camera to pass through the texture. This is very important.
    - Exposure.

• That sounds very cool indeed! Love that your doing this. I had a blast in the last SW and looking forward to what you guys are doing with SW2.

If we're going for the Bee's Knees then I would probably add these to the list as well.

1. Support for custom aspect ratios. Ability to change these on the fly while in timestopped photo mode.
    2. Ability for effects such as bloom, AO, DOF, to scale with resolution and aspect ratio changes.
    3. Free Camera
    3.1 Complete FOV control as PulseZET mentioned above.
    3.2 Camera tilt.
    4. Motion blur on pause.
    4.1 If the engine supports it, the ability to disable/enable motion blur on the fly while timestopped.
    5. Access to the in-engine color correction / tonemap control.
    6. Support for "hotsampling" of the game when in windowed mode.
    7. Ability to increase texture / shadow resolution while timestopped / photomode.
    8. Toggles for any vignette / screen effects / lens effects / overlays that might be used in-game. (especially CA and vignette)
    9. Access to point lights or special lighting used in cinematic sequences. Basically, walking around with your own lighting rig in the photomode bag of tricks to be able to add / removing lighting from scenes.
    10. For photomode to work during in-engine cutscenes.

That's what I can think of for now.

• What One3rd said.

Also good on you guys to seek out some help here. Good stuff.
  • edited August 2016
    Well, the only way you'll see Shadow Warrior 2 on the official site is if Duncan himself decides to take some screenshots. So I'm curious as to what he'd have to say. I'm sure he'd request any feature that he usually hacks in via Cheat Engine to save himself some time :P

I think it's great that you're asking for suggestions, let alone putting in a photo mode at all =)
  • One3rd got them all

Supersampling the scene when Photomode is on should be the same way Forza Horizon 2 does it , if it's possible ofc.
  • awesome photomode guys

stuff missing from it

brightness (contrast is there but brightness isn't ? )
    sharpen

adding photomode to the keybind menu so we could enable it anytime instead of pausing the game and flicking through the menu to enable it

• Thank you! For the rest, see my reply from the Steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/341537388321774267/
  • edited October 2016
    On the first level. color grading gets disabled when you enable the photo mode. I'll think the colors look great, but then I'll enable the photo mode and notice that it changes for the worse. And I can't seem to replicate it via the image settings and whatnot.
  • Yes. This and some other PhotoMode issues (like broken tiled shots or broken AntiAliasing) will be fixed in upcoming patch (most likely tommorow).
  • Guys, does the PhotoMode automatically disable NVIDIA Multi-Res Shading (MRS)?
  • No, it doesn't disable it automatically. Actually, we don't change any graphics options in photo mode.
  • Amazing and quite extensive photo mode guys! Thanks a lot for that!!!
  • edited November 2016
    Yeah, just wanted to say this is a great, well implemented photomode. Especially the ability to go in slow motion through a fight sequence to find just the right pose, being able to go even frame by frame from there. Really helpful!

The filters are unusual and can be interesting. You can make scenes that look like they're from old games, especially with different combinations of Dither + pixel + Color Accuracy (which kind of posterizes things).

All my respect for coming here first to get an idea on how to properly add it. Very happy with everything, would just echo the sentiments on the Steam forum of more finetuning within values. Another would be a slightly larger bounding box. But you guys did an amazing job, thanks.
  • Thank you! For the rest, see my reply from the Steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/324800/discussions/0/341537388321774267/

Hey just a note, the latest update if you fly out somewhere and then change the FOV, it resets to default position.