Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher 3

edited October 2015 in Game Discussion
This is no longer a guide thread. So much has changed.

The latest version (1.11) has a HUD toggle.

There's even a mod for PlayersOnly now.

It's up to someone else now to compile all of the relevant info and put together a nicely organized guide for everyone. Some ideas:

- Include relevant mods for playersonly, timestop, free camera.

- Include information on the console and useful console commands.

- Include other mods for things such as hoods. Because hoods are amazing and should definitely be in your screenshots.

Below this section is all of the old and potentially deprecated information. I'm including it in case someone wants to copy my formatting to a new thread.

This guide lists the various tools and techniques that can be utilized in order to capture the best possible screenshots in The Witcher 3.

Debug Command Console + Free Camera

Debug Console Enabler Mod for 1.05

Download the debug console enabler extract the files to "\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64\"

In-game, you have the following controls:
Enable the console: ~ key (or F2)
Enable the free camera: F1

When the camera is enabled, you have access to all of the functions via a controller.

Left Analog stick = movement
Right Analog stick = camera rotation
D-Pad = FOV and Tilt
Y \ A = Move straight up \ down
Hold Left Trigger = Move much faster

When the camera is active, you will not be able to type any keys into the console that are used to move the camera. So make sure you enter any commands you need to use before enabling the camera, then use the up and down arrows to access previously used commands.

Useful Console Commands
dlgshow = Hide the HUD (character movement and menu access will be disabled)
dlghide = Show the HUD
changeweather(weather_id) = Here is a list of all weather IDs
  example - changeweather(WT_Mid_Clouds) = change to a party cloudy sky
makeitrain = It makes the rain come when you turn it. The rain's very scarce. It comes only when needed most. And such it is with men like you.
stoprain = Rain rain go away
AllowFT(1) = Enables fast travel from anywhere
ShowAllFT(1) = Show all fast travel icons on the map (no need to discover them)
spawn(entity_id) = Here is a list of all spawnable entities
  example - spawn('nekker',100) = spawn 100 nekkers type
Ciri = Play as Ciri with all of her abilities
god = God mode. Useful for combat shots.

Complete list of console commands.

Cheat Engine Table
Download table - 1.06

[Pause Game \ Timestop] = F3 to toggle pause
This freezes the game and still allows you to manipulate the camera and change the time of day.

While active, this script will override the game's default pause behavior. What that means is that if you pause the game and then go into the menu, the game will still be paused when you exit the menu. If the game is not paused, alt-tabbing or bringing up the menu will not pause the game. If you want the game to pause when you alt-tab or open the menu, then you should disable the script (uncheck it in the table).

[Time of Day] = F4 to toggle on and off
[ ] keys to modify the time of day
Hold ALT to change in larger increments (1 in-game hour)
Hold CTRL for smaller increments (1 in-game minute)

[PlayersOnly] = Numpad 0 to toggle on and off
Geralt can move but all NPCs are frozen. You can use this to pose enemies, then then use timestop to freeze Geralt. I'll try and modify the script to toggle Geralt freezing on and off.

If you've never used Cheat Engine before
1. Download and install Cheat Engine 6.4. This program is perfectly safe to use. No, you will not be banned for using it.

2. Double click on the table file you downloaded above. This should launch Cheat Engine.

3. Launch The Witcher 3.
(I prefer windowed mode when using Cheat Engine since alt-tabbing will not minimize the game.)

4. Alt-Tab out of the game. In Cheat Engine, click the flashing button in the top left corner. Find "witcher3.exe" and click open. Say yes to keep the address and script list currently in the table.

You can now use the hotkeys above in The Witcher 3.

Methods for capturing screenshots
1. MSI Afterburner.
This is my goto for capturing screenshots initially (for every game). I use this for overclocking and custom fan profiles. It has a configurable screenshot hotkey right here in the settings.

-> Get MSI Afterburner

2. ReShade \ SweetFX.
I've noticed that a lot of people are using this for injecting SMAA \ post processing but are somehow unaware that there's also a screenshot function built in. The default hotkey is PRINT SCREEN, and by default it will save PNGs to the same folder as the game's executable. This is how I capture my screenshots in The Witcher 3.

-> Get ReShade || Check out some presets (don't know if any of these are actually good though)

3. DXTory.
In my opinion, this is superior to FRAPS in every way. But seeing as I usually default to Afterburner or SweetFX, it's been a while since I've actually used it.

-> Get DXTory

Comments

• Yassss! =D

Thank you for sharing this.
  • editing (user.ini) can help with high res , basically put the res you want then set fullscreenmode=0 , save and make it read-only the , problem is the game won't scale to the AR correctly also you'll need SWRE or BWG to scale the image down so you see everything
  • edited May 2015
    Thank you jim2point0!
  • edited May 2015
    kx11 said:

editing (user.ini) can help with high res , basically put the res you want then set fullscreenmode=0 , save and make it read-only the , problem is the game won't scale to the AR correctly also you'll need SWRE or BWG to scale the image down so you see everything

So you can downsample with the game alone, or do you need the set resolution to be supported by the gpu?

Thanks, wouldnt have tried this if not for someone mentioning it
  • edited May 2015
    Yeah, there are some things I want to add to the guide still. Like mentioning AndyB's FPS killer INI tweaks, for example.

Also working on a few more features for the table. But I do want to play the game a little bit :)
  • Thank's a lot for this and all the work you do with these tables. I don't know of any others who make tables like this as most others seem to use Cheat Engine for other purposes.

I'd like to see game developers start to recognize the increasing popularity of taking screenshots and implement more options within games.
  • edited May 2015

Thank's a lot for this and all the work you do with these tables. I don't know of any others who make tables like this as most others seem to use Cheat Engine for other purposes.

I'd like to see game developers start to recognize the increasing popularity of taking screenshots and implement more options within games.

Well there's Duncan. The admin of this site. He uses Cheat Engine for this purpose, and he's better than I am now. I probably wouldn't have figured out a few of these features without his help :)

Anywho, if anyone with the GoG version wants to help me out with something, please add me on Steam. http://steamcommunity.com/id/neoenigma

Thaaaaaanks
  • Thanks very much for the guide and table Jim, works a treat. The only thing that makes me sad about this game is that even with EVERY option turned off in the HUD i still get the name of the monster i am fighting on the screen, and still some contextual messages will pop up on NPC's. Makes combat shots pretty moot right now sadly. Still...even the base game looks glorious and have already gotten some nice work done thanks to your freecam. :)
  • edited May 2015
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

While the article focuses on the game being a bit "downgraded" from it's original reveal back in 2013 it looks like there's two upcoming patches. :)
    Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all.
    (Has to go through certification on console though so maybe a release early next week?)

In addition, CD Projekt Red will patch the game to allow editing of .ini files on PC, to push graphical settings even higher. You will be able to tweak grass and vegetation density, post-processing effects such as sharpening, and draw distances. The .ini patch will arrive soon after the other patch. "And we think about some other tricks but we need time," Adam Badowski says.
    (You can already edit all the ini files though, personally I transferred the settings to the user config file so I have them all in one place and can ensure that changing them will have a effect on the game or how to say, wouldn't recommend stripping the game files of settings and putting them in the user config file as a standard tweak though but for me it makes it easier, user.settings looks like this now but I'm still tweaking things. - http://pastebin.com/XpmVqUYs for example I set Ubersampling to 1 since it causes the game to crash if set higher but a value of 1 doesn't really do much as it's a multiplier of the screen resolution, in Witcher 2 you could for example set it to 3 or 4 instead of 2 but it'll likely cripple framerate, a value of 1 supposedly helps with AF though which is a bit problematic in that game.)
  • Thank you so much. I wanted to ask, while does File Structure and file extension are so similar to Bethesda's Wolfenstein??
  • edited May 2015
    They are not though it might look that way but these files are part of RED Engine version 4 (I think it's version 4 at least, it's called "R4E" in quite a few places.) though they have changed it pretty heavily since Witcher 2
    (At least it's not the Aurora engine from Neverwinter Nights 1 that was used in Witcher 1, man they sure modified that engine.)

The Xentax and Zenhax forums have unpackers that work with the QuickBMS utility though modding is pretty limited at the moment but a REDKit editor is planned for release as well although I do not know if they'll also ship the debug enabled executable for stuff like free camera, high-res screenshots and other fun things.
    (Which you can find references of in the Witcher3.map file via a hex editor, it's in the same place as the game exe and contains most graphical settings and the console commands though not in a easily readable format unfortunately.)

Xentax Witcher 3 thread:
    http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12835&sid=86fa1b72d2965d99b40e0b17e7e2d204

Zenhax:
    http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=940&sid=ba95e2e2e938131325a55777789a9ce6
    (There's a separate thread for the string file format for the files containing, well the strings or localization of the game.)

And QuickBMS can be downloaded from here:
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm
    (Handy utility though can be a bit difficult to learn but it's been really useful.)

Not too much to dig into yet though, lots of csv text files and other things sure but the core stuff is in the game exe itself and the .map file whatever it actually does.
    (Script files are also compiled into a separate file format and I don't think it can be unpacked yet, might have to wait for the REDKit to be released.)

EDIT: Patch 1.03 is out with some fixes and optimizations, also deleted the witcher3.map file
  • edited May 2015

EDIT: Patch 1.03 is out with some fixes and optimizations, also deleted the witcher3.map file

And also patch break table's functionality :)
    EDIT: GOG version completely not working, timestop crash the game and all other function are doing nothing. Previous GOG version of the game worked well with table.
  • edited May 2015
    Was actually about to try it with the new version of the game and see if it still worked as from what I read it seems the available trainers are still compatible but from your post it would appear that the Cheat-Engine scripts did not fare as well.

EDIT: And so it is, after testing the table it no longer finds the proper values so the addresses (offsets?) must have changed.
  • edited May 2015
    Fucking hell, there's a patch ALREADY? Oh shit... I hope I can revert my game. If so, I'll be able to convert it to AOB.

There's no chance it will work on patch 1.03 as of right now.

EDIT: And so it is, after testing the table it no longer finds the proper values so the addresses (offsets?) must have changed.

The scripts in my current table are hooked via static addresses. Those will ALWAYS change after a patch if the EXE is touched. I thought I'd have at least a few days before I'd need to convert the scripts to AOB.
  • Using the old GOG exe might work in the meantime for those that want to use the script, Steam now also schedules downloads for a few hours later too so it might not have downloaded yet and could thus be paused or the old exe backed up.
    (Although with some of the changes it's hard to say what sort of issues could possibly arise from using the old exe with the other patched files.)