Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GUIDE]Spec Ops: The Line

I've hijacked the first post of this thread in order to update the guide with my Cheat Engine free camera. I will keep any useful information that One3rd added to his guide (thanks a lot for that!).

Pausing the game to use the free camera
The cheat engine free camera will only work when the game is paused. To pause the game, use the Pause\break key on your keyboard. A pause symbol will appear on your screen. In order to remove that, you must use the GeDoSaTo hud toggle. For that to work, add the following line to the Spec Ops config file.

GeDoSaTo/config/SpecOpsTheLine/GeDoSaTo.ini
injectPSHash f39b9597

The free camera script will only find the camera values while the game is running, so therefore the script needs to be enabled before you pause the game.

Cheat Engine Table
Download table

[Camera Control + FOV]
F1 to toggle on and off

The free camera will only work when the game is paused!

Numpad 2/8 = Y coordinate
Numpad 4/6 = X coordinate
Numpad 3/9 = Z coordinate

Arrow keys = Rotate camera

Hold ALT for larger movements
Hold CTRL for smaller movements

Numpad +/- to adjust FOV

[ ] keys to tilt the camera

[Aspect ratio fix]
~ (tilde) to toggle

Normally this game forces letterboxing\pillarboxing to lock the aspect ratio to 16:9. Enable this script if you are using a different aspect ratio. It will be automatically calculated and adjusted appropriately.

Modifying the UE3 configuration files
The config files in this game are encrypted (similar to Bulletstorm). You will need to download and use this decrypter/encrypter application to be able to edit them. Extract that into a folder somewhere. You'll see 2 files

Gibbed.SpecOpsTheLine.IniDecrypt.exe
Gibbed.SpecOpsTheLine.IniEncrypt.exe

Keep that folder open and locate the Spe Ops config files in \Documents\My Games\SpecOps-TheLine\SRGame\Config.

To modify a file, drag and drop it into the decrypter - Gibbed.SpecOpsTheLine.IniDecrypt.exe.

Make changes, save, then drag and drop it into the encrypter - Gibbed.SpecOpsTheLine.IniEncrypt.exe. It helps to mark them as read-only afterwards so your changes are not lost.

Hot-Swapping Resolutions, PlayersOnly, HUD toggle (oh my!)
This is the fastest way I've ever swapped between different resolutions and aspect ratios!

Following the steps above, get into the SRInput.ini file. You will need to add custom binds under [SRGame.YPlayerInput3]

Here is my hotkey setup:
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="setres 2560x1440",Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="setres 7680x4320",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="setres 2560x1280",Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="setres 8000x4000",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="setres 2560x1080",Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="setres 8640x3645",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="setres 1080x1440",Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="setres 4800x6400",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly true",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly false",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="Show POSTPROCESS")
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="showhud")

The resolutions are designed to swap between my native resolution and downsampled resolutions for various aspect ratios.

F2 = native 16:9
Alt + F2 = dowsampled 16:9
... same for F3, F4, F5
F8 = PlayersOnly
F9 = Toggles the in-game post processing
F10 = Toggles the HUD and crosshair

In order for those resolutions to work, you need to have matching resolutions in your GeDoSaTo config file. For example:

#16:9
renderResolution [email protected]

#3:4

#2:1

#21:9

Shadow banding fix & other tweaks
Spec Ops: The Line suffers from the same shadow banding that plagues most UE3 games. For me, this tweak fixed it perfectly.

Get into the SREngine.ini file and set the following under [SystemSettings]:
bEnableVSMShadows=True
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=False
bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=True
ShadowDepthBias=0.100

Other tweaks:
Under [SystemSettings] section change;
MaxAnisotropy=4
to
MaxAnisotropy=16

Add ",NumStreamedMips=0" to the end of each TEXTUREGROUP setting like below.
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
Skip over the TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap setting as it already defaults to NumStreamedMips=3. Changing this seemed to set set the textures to lowest in the in-game menu so I'm leaving this at default for the time being.

Disable Startup Movies
Add -nostartupmovies to the command line (set launch options in Steam).

Comments

• I still haven't installed the game, will do now.. but I noticed in TH - Hells Reach that the command "Camera new" somehow put the camera in front of the characters face, and both these games have the player at the same angle. If you see this post before I try it myself you might have luck with it.
  • cicala said:

I still haven't installed the game, will do now.. but I noticed in TH - Hells Reach that the command "Camera new" somehow put the camera in front of the characters face, and both these games have the player at the same angle. If you see this post before I try it myself you might have luck with it.

Oh...I'm in-game now, might have to try!
  • One3rd said:

cicala said:

I still haven't installed the game, will do now.. but I noticed in TH - Hells Reach that the command "Camera new" somehow put the camera in front of the characters face, and both these games have the player at the same angle. If you see this post before I try it myself you might have luck with it.

Oh...I'm in-game now, might have to try!
    If the actual camera "x" command works I reckon there should be a way to be able to have a position where the player is not in frame.. Hell Reach had lots of angles until I found one that worked
  • How was it implemented? I tried a keybind for "Camera new" but that did not work. Did you need to use the "set" command before this?
  • One3rd said:

How was it implemented? I tried a keybind for "Camera new" but that did not work. Did you need to use the "set" command before this?

oops I forgot to mention in hells reach I did it through console :S... I guess adding set would make sense for a bind.
  • Camera new is, as its name suggests, creating a new camera entity at the player's coordinates and possessing it. The only use I've found for it previously was in Gears Of War 3 where it helped break the scripted camera sequences during cutscenes. It very rarely works in retail games, and I'd be surprised if its functionality overlapped things such as the debug camera.
  • I've tried that with "set" as well but it didn't do anything. Is it possible to find out what cameras are already created and then call one of those? In the scripted sequence I'm in now I can freeze the "dropped" camera with playersonly and then move the character around. Can we hijack that camera class?
  • What you're basically describing is the toggle debug camera function. I'm not sure you can replicate all the steps in-game, no, but then I'm no expert.
  • tried every line in Last Remnant and they worked as i expected but hide model didn't work

playersonly just like batman AC gets the model glued to the camera center

FLY+GHOST works too

no way to remove that map though
  • kx11 said:

GeDoSaTo?
  • One3rd said:

kx11 said:

GeDoSaTo?
    never used it , seems like a puzzle to me
  • kx11 said:

One3rd said:

kx11 said:

GeDoSaTo?
    You can use it to remove a games HUD as well rendering massive resolutions. If you are able to remove the entire HUD except from one element then you may be able to find the shader for that HUD element and toggle it off with GeDoSaTo.

I used it today to find the PSHash to remove a pause icon from Spec Ops that shows when the game is paused. Took about 10 minutes to find and test it all up. Check out the PCGamer article Jim posted at that link. It describes the process involved. I'd check it out myself but I don't have the game.
  • edited August 2014
    kx11 said:

One3rd said:

kx11 said:

GeDoSaTo?
    I should make a tutorial for the downsampling side of it, maybe next week.. no one has made a simple guide yet (that I have found) so i ended up learning how to do it myself (but not the shader editing... cause thats something I am not really interested in.. I would only use ENB to enhance colours/visuals

also...
    One3rd said:

Encrypted INI Files
    Another UE3 game where the .ini files have been protected from prying eyes with a mild encryption. You will need to download and use this decrypter/encrypter application to be able to read them.

I noticed Alien Rage Unlimited has encrypted INI files too.. oh how it annoys the hell out of me :@ :@ :@
  • cicala said:

I noticed Alien Rage Unlimited has encrypted INI files too.. oh how it annoys the hell out of me :@ :@ :@

I remember looking at Alien Rage at one point but thought the ini files were open. Nope, they aren't, the Bulletstorm decrypter works though. I think all the normal UE3 binds work as well.
  • edited August 2014
    One3rd said:

cicala said:

I remember looking at Alien Rage at one point but thought the ini files were open. Nope, they aren't, the Bulletstorm decrypter works though. I think all the normal UE3 binds work as well.
    Last time I had it installed I did decrypted the inis, but the game was having a fit whenever I changed things (late late last year), I will return to it soon enough.. going through my hdd of unreal 3 games.
    Hence my Alpha Protocol guide.. xD

"DEBUG ONLY MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE SHIPPING" = let's see what we can do here, there are more that aren't in this screencap.. but I'll have to see if they can be enabled first

OMG this is hilarious "flying and stuff" ~ developers words, CI Games

Sorry Im derailing topic.. if I figure this out will make a new thread for alien rage