Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Far Cry 4

edited November 2014 in Game Discussion

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal • Publisher: Ubisoft• Engine: Dunia Engine 2

Screenshotting Guide

For now just the in game camera. Custom ratios don't work, only 16:9 or else it gets letterboxed.

Far Cry 4 is an upcoming action-adventure first-person shooter video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One video game consoles, and Microsoft Windows.[7] The sequel to the 2012 video game Far Cry 3, it is the fourth installment in the Far Cry series. It will be released in North America, United Kingdom and Europe on November 18, 2014, and in Australia it will be released November 20, 2014. It will be also released on January 22, 2015 in Japan.[8]

imageimageimage

Comments

• edited November 2014
    I'm moving this to game discussion for a few reasons (I've been considering outright deleting the thread, but I figure I'd leave that up for discussion).

First of all, how do you have this game already? Because anyone seeing this thread here is going to be asking the same thing (and assuming the worst).

Also, why do you feel the urge to post a screenshot thread so early before we even have proper tools to take the best screenshots? Because based on what I'm seeing, this was not worth the rush.
  • edited November 2014
    Can't say much about the game itself since it won't be unlocked until the 18th but since the UPlay preload data is unencrypted (But missing the main exe and .dll file.) I've had some time to mess around with the game files.

The tools that Gibbed (Rick?) built for Far Cry 3 also works for this game. - http://svn.gib.me/builds/dunia2/ which similar to Watch_Dogs can be used to modify a variety of game settings although I'm mostly doing what I did for Far Cry 3 and tweaking the visuals a bit.

Much like Far Cry 4 (And Watch_Dogs, plus Far Cry 3) modded content works best via patch.dat archive and it's patch.fat header file although for this game the existing patch files are nearly 1.4 GB and when unpacked as this removes compression it becomes nearly 2 GB so distribution of mods will probably have to be done via loose files or some other method.

Unpacking common.dat/common.fat and patch.dat/patch.fat should give access to most of the files of importance although since these tools are not directly made for Far Cry 4 there will be a lot of unknown files, these get packed correctly but makes finding stuff harder.

In any case in the "common" archive there's this file. -> .\__UNKNOWN\misc\5C8CCADF9D542A47.Profile.xml and in the "patch" archive a updated version of it exists.

This file should control the majority of the advanced graphical settings in the game such as adjusting the LOD distance, removing the forced FXAA (lessening screen "blur") and much more.

If it still works then to remove FXAA you need to find this section in the file:
        <Post>
    <quality
    id="low"
    FXAALevel="0"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="0"
    CinematicDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="0"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />
    <quality
    id="medium"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="1"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="0"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />
    <quality
    id="high"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="1"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="0"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />
    <quality
    id="veryhigh"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="1"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="1"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />
    <quality
    id="ultrahigh"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="2"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="1"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />
    </Post>
    And for the in-game preset (The ID= thing here.) you use you need to change FXAALevel from 2 or 1 to 0
    (2 is a high quality filter used on Ultra settings but in my opinion it blurs the image too much, game should support MSAA or downsampling for AA purposes, TXAA too for Nvidia GPU owners.)

For gameplay tweaks in the "common" archive you have this file:

.\engine\settings\defaultgamesettings.xml

Where you can change the time of day default and it's speed progression and a few cheats, GodMode, Unlimited Ammo and Invisibility.
    (AI entities ignoring the player might be useful for screenshots.)

GodMode = "0"
    UnlimitedAmmo = "0"
    IgnorePlayer = "0"

Not much else I can add at the moment, need to wait for the game to unlock and that also means waiting for the 1.1.0 update which might change some of these settings although I'd guess the majority of this will still work.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to re-enable the debug mode but going by the posted screenshots there's several options to customize UI visibility although FOV will have to be adjusted via some other config file until update 1.2.0 adds a slider for it if those patch notes are still valid.
    (And of course camera modifications and the like won't be possible without a trainer or cheat-engine script.)

EDIT: Moving on to actually discussing the game and not this stuff it does look like a updated Far Cry 3, probably with similar technical limitations too such as the poor depth of field effect (Seen in the above screens too.) and low resolution skybox textures (Like the mountain in the third image above.) should be a fun game unless it has similar technical issues like AC: Unity but I don't know how well it will work for more advanced screenshot purposes, the anti-cheat solution in AC: Unity seems to be causing problems so who knows what will be possible in this game.
    (From controlling FOV or hiding the gun model to moving the camera around.)
  • Wow man, great info. do you have anything relating to ratios? There is an option for a ratio in the menu but whatever is chosen it only looks right in 16:9 there is always a letterbox otherwise. 2325x3100
  • That DoF looks rank.

I'll leave it up to the OP to explain how they got the game if they feel like it. Good call from Jim moving it to general discussion, though.
  • edited November 2014
    Simple, you pre-load and get the .exe from somewhere else (Retail DVD). You also need a crack to circumvent Uplay. Or.. just use a arrr version.
  • Wow man, great info. do you have anything relating to ratios? There is an option for a ratio in the menu but whatever is chosen it only looks right in 16:9 there is always a letterbox otherwise. 2325x3100

That's probably the same as AC: Unity and many other Ubisoft games (And not just Ubisoft) where regardless of chosen aspect ratio it'll display with black bars on anything other than 16:9, probably will require a plugin for either WidescreenFixer or Flawless Widescreen to correct (again) although Flawless Widescreen is still not fully online yet.

Unfortunate if that's how it is but there's little that can be done about it besides a third party fix or Ubisoft patching the game.
    (But seeing that "stretch" option in AC: Unity I guess they don't really care, stretching the display image should never be a solution.)
  • the game got FOV slider ( uplay ver. ) and HUD can be removed except mission arrows which can shrink in a high res shot , removing the hud means ticking 15 or so options ( yuck )

SWRE works also custom desktop res
  • Just use the camera and disable the overlay. =P Much simpler than ticking 15 boxes in the options menu. You can also zoom with the camera.
  • If you use the Ultra quality preset you can further boost a few graphical settings by editing the advanced options. :)

Shadows - from Ultra to SoftShadows, this primarily enables Nvidia PCSS

Ambient Occlusion - Can be set to HBAO+

Fur - Can be set to "2" in the config file on non-Nvidia cards and with Nvidia GPU's it can probably be set in the settings screen directly.

Godrays - Can be set to Enhanced

Furthermore you can set a few things in the GamerProfile.xml file in the User folder.

OtherQuality="low" - Can be set to up to "ultrahigh" (low, medium, high, veryhigh and ultrahigh) primarily controls the other "loose" settings in this file though from what I can see in the unpacked xml files.

DepthPassQuality="low" - Can be set to High, only adjusts a setting for depth distance from 100 to 0 (infinite?)

ShadowCinematicQuality="low" - Same as for Other it goes from low to ultrahigh, unsure if it also supports the softshadows preset.

HdrFP32="0" - Can be set to 1 to enable Floating Point 32-bit instead of I think 16 bit, probably a nearly unnoticeable difference.
    (ARMA 2 and 3 has a setting for this as well where it defaults to 8 and goes up to 16, 32 and finally 64 and the only really noticeable change is the performance hit.)

• Guys, to remove the HUD just press Z for the camera and then E to toggle every single piece of HUD off. No need to toggle 15-20 independent settings. Best thing? Zooming in camera mode acts like an FoV slider, you can get some pretty cool shots with that.
    I tried to take a screenshot, it has no AA (SMAA/TXAA look like shit, MSAA is too expensive to run at 4k, 8x crashes on me

• edited November 2014
    djh_ said:

That DoF looks rank.

I'll leave it up to the OP to explain how they got the game if they feel like it. Good call from Jim moving it to general discussion, though.

Forgot to reply to this, similarly to how you disable FXAA you can also get rid of the depth of field shader, it can look OK in some parts of the game but during evening and night time it looks terrible.

It's the setting GameDepthOfField="1" under the post processing preset, there's a separate DOF for cutscenes which I assume is higher quality but unfortunately I don't think you can replace the game DOF with the cutscene DOF to improve it's quality.

So from this:

id="ultrahigh"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="2"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="1"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />

To

id="ultrahigh"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="0"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="0"
    MotionBlur="1"
    DepthDownsample="1"
    />

(If you'd want to disable FXAA along with the DOF.)

EDIT: Come to think of it I believe you could also add a section in the user config file and override settings this way but I don't quite remember how that worked for Far Cry 3 but it would be easier than packing and unpacking these patch archives.
  • the game is almost another ACU ( in a bad way )
  • I'm moving this to game discussion for a few reasons (I've been considering outright deleting the thread, but I figure I'd leave that up for discussion).

First of all, how do you have this game already? Because anyone seeing this thread here is going to be asking the same thing (and assuming the worst).

Also, why do you feel the urge to post a screenshot thread so early before we even have proper tools to take the best screenshots? Because based on what I'm seeing, this was not worth the rush.

What about the in game camera with the hud removal at a press of a button? :s

• Tell me what you guys think of this shot.
  • aliased and blurry like a PS4 screenshot but good composition