Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GUIDE] X-Men Origins: Wolverine

You'll find the ini files that need to be modified in ..\Documents\Wolverine\WGame\Config. Backup these up before making any changes.

UE3 Key Binds - Edit WInput.ini
Under [Engine.PlayerInput] change:
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
Add the following binds to the bottom of this section:
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="togglehud")
Bindings=(Name="F1",Command="Show FOG",Alt=True) ; works
Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="God")
Bindings=(Name="F3",Command="PlayersOnly") ; only freeze enemies, avatar movable
Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="Pause",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="Slomo 0.0001") ; think this value only goes to two decimal places
Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="Slomo 1",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="Slomo 0.1")
Bindings=(Name="F6",Command="Slomo 0.3",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="SET MATERIALEFFECT bShowInGame FALSE")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="setres 3840x2160")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="setres 7680x4320",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="setres 3200x3200")
Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="setres 4800x4800",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="setres 3000x4000")
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="setres 4500x6000",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="setres 5120x2160")
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="setres 7680x3240",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="I",Command="Fly")
Bindings=(Name="O",Command="Walk")
Bindings=(Name="P",Command="Camera Fixed") ; fixes camera in current position, avatar movable
Bindings=(Name="P",Command="Camera ThirdPerson",Alt=True) ; goes back to default 3rd person camera
Bindings=(Name="F",Command="set Pawn bStatic true | set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly true")
Bindings=(Name="F",Command="set Pawn bStatic false | set Engine.WorldInfo bPlayersOnly false",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="G",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHeroUndying true") ; take damage but can't die
Bindings=(Name="G",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHeroUndying false",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="H",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatInfiniteRage true") ; works
Bindings=(Name="H",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatInfiniteRage false",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="J",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHitImpactSlowDown false") ;stops timestop crash
Bindings=(Name="J",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHitImpactSlowDown true",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="K",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombat300SlowMo false") ;stops timestop crash
Bindings=(Name="K",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombat300SlowMo true",Alt=True)
Bindings=(Name="L",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mShowFX false")
Bindings=(Name="L",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mShowFX true",Alt=True)

As usual you can bind these to whatever keys you want.
Players Only toggle - F3
Pause - F4 [use F key for pausing player + enemies to retain cheat engine camera control]
Pause All Action - F [This is unstable. If events occurring like Rage motion blur, enabling this will CTD. Works very well any other time though.]
Toggle Hud - HUD is only present when in combat, use GeDoSaTo to disable this.
Disable Fog - ALT + F1
Remove Post Process Effects - F7 (to re-enable enable then disable "Feral Sense" ability, this resets in-game post processing to normal)
God Mode - F2
Custom FOV - [use cheat engine script]
set resolution - F8 to F11
Slow Motion - F5= 0.0001 game speed, ALT + F5= normal game speed, F6 = 0.1 game speed, and ALT + F6 = 0.3 game speed.
Fly - I (This allows you to somewhat fly around. Use a controller to move up and down, Y and X (or mouse 1 and 2 + movement keys). You can use this to position the camera, drop it, then move Logan out of the way.)
Walk - O (come back down to earth)
Fixed Camera - P (fixes camera in current position, Logan movable) [use cheat engine freecam for full control during timestop]
Reset Camera - ALT + P (goes back to default 3rd person camera)
Undying (take visual damage but can't die) - G and ALT + G to disable. (note: using the F key timestop will reset all visual damage effects to default)
Infinite Rage - H and Alt + H.
mCombatHitImpactSlowDown and mCombat300SlowMo - J and K keys respectively. These "may" help reduce when the game crashes when using the F key timestop function. Enable these before using F key during combat. When it works it's brilliant, when it doesn't your rewarded with a CTD!
Disable "claw trails" visual effects - L and ALT + L. (Note: this also disables a number of other visual effects such as blood, sparks, and any other cool visual effects. Limited use but can allow you to get clean action shots without all the "action".

Modifications to WEngine.ini
To unlock framerate. Under [Engine.GameEngine] section change;
bSmoothFrameRate=false

To Fix texture streaming when rendering at or over 30MP make the following changes under [TextureStreaming] section;
PoolSize=1024
So that the section looks like;
[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=1024
HysteresisLimit=30
DropMipLevelsLimit=20
StopIncreasingLimit=15
StopStreamingLimit=10
MinFudgeFactor=1
FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=0.5
FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=-0.4
MinRequestedMipsToConsider=11
MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=2
MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
UseTextureFileCache=TRUE

Under [SystemSettings] section change;
MaxAnisotropy=4
to
MaxAnisotropy=16

To disable startup movies comment out the following lines under [FullScreenMovie] section as below;
;StartupMovies=Copyright
;StartupMovies=ravenlogo
;StartupMovies=ATVI_logo
;StartupMovies=MARVEL_INTRO
;StartupMovies=FOX_LOGO
;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;StartupMovies=blank

Rendering Resolutions
I used GeDoSaTo setup with a custom config with all the resolutions in the above keybind section. These can be changed on the fly with different AR's being supported by pressing the corresponding keybind. (Note: none of these resolutions show up in the in-game config menu but they will work if changed with the "setres" command.

I also found the PSHash for the "action" HUD that shows up when in combat or the claws are out, this has been added to GeDoSaTo but can be manually added with a game specific configuration as below.
# This is a profile file for Wolverine (X-Men origins: Wolverine)

modifyGetCursorPos true
modifySetCursorPos true
# Not sure if the below two commands are needed but they may have fixed an issue I had at non-native AR's and mouse clicks outside the screen area minimizing the game. Leaving in just in case.
modifyGetClientRect true
modifyGetWindowRect true

# HUD - This disables the "action" HUD elements on the side of the screen that show up when in combat.
injectPSHash c7dccdae

Free Camera
Duncan was kind enough to whip up a cheat engine script for free camera control with FOV. You can find the script here.

Default Commands
Numpad 0 - Enable FreeCam and FOV scripts
Numpad4 - Left
Numpad6 - Right
Numpad8 - Forward
Numpad2 - Backward
Numpad9 - Up
Numpad3 - Down
Numpad Minus - Decrease FOV
Numpad Plus - Increase FOV

Enable Wolverine's Classic Yellow and Blue Costume
1. Insert an Xbox 360 controller. Press A, X, B, X, A, Y, A, Y, A, X, B(2), X,
2. click the Right Analog-stick during game play while Wolverine is on screen and controllable. Then, exit to the main menu and switch costumes.

And to make it easier.
3. go to WInput.ini file and under the [WGame.WGameCheatManager] section change;
mCheatPatterns=(mPattern=AXBXAYAYAXBBXS,mCheat=CP_UnlockSkin1)
to
mCheatPatterns=(mPattern=AXBX,mCheat=CP_UnlockSkin1)
Then while in game controlling Wolverine, press A,X,B,X and then click the right analog stick. You only need to do this once and the costume should be available for selection when you continue or replay a level.

Decals and Corpses
You can increase the time decals (marks on walls and objects) such as cuts and blood splatter stick around and the number of corpses littered around the place before they start to magically disappear. Make the following changes in the WGame.ini file. Change these to what you want.
[WGame.WGamePawn]
mCorpseLimit=30

[Engine.DecalManager]
DecalLifeSpan=30.0

The_Janitor's FX remover
Get it here. (README included with instructions)

This includes:
-Toggle the entire HUD on and off with the TAB key
-Removes the claw trails visual effects (without removing other effects like gore)
-Removes the rage orbs (you collect them automatically so you don't need to see them anyway)
-Removes the weird explosion effect when you punch enemies

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Update:
    1. Added freecam cheat engine script thanks to Duncan.
    2. changed keybinds to not conflict with normal screenshooting cheat engine binds.
    3. Added vignette removal keybind.
  • ...continued from cheat engine thread.

After some minor testing, I think the issue with the CTD's when using the new timestop is due to "set Pawn bStatic true " when effects/animations such as motion blur are being used. I notice that I get a crash every time during the "bonus" fights when Wolverine2 enables rage ( which causes the motion blur effect) if timestop is used, normal PlayersOnly does work though.
  • Raven always use a lot of bespoke code in their Unreal games, so I'd imagine they had their own timestop/timestep function to control things safely. Using a stock Unreal value in such a brute force manner was always going to be a bit risky.
  • Nice guide. Somewhere I have an old boxed version. I remember the game worked well with tiledshot command
  • edited October 2014
    djh_ said:

Raven always use a lot of bespoke code in their Unreal games, so I'd imagine they had their own timestop/timestep function to control things safely. Using a stock Unreal value in such a brute force manner was always going to be a bit risky.

There was a "ToggleFreezeFrame" command in the cheatbutton bind section, any idea how we could use that? Just using it as "ToggleFreezeFrame" didn't do anything with a specific bind but might we be able to use it with the "set" command?
    Marcelus said:

Nice guide. Somewhere I have an old boxed version. I remember the game worked well with tiledshot command

I hadn't even thought about using tiledshot as I like using a bit of SMAAto help with the edges (and other PP) but that is definitely worth looking into.
  • OK, no luck on the togglefreezeframe or anything else I tried to stop animations during motion blur events. Stopping the pawn seems to crash when either the camera is trying to be controlled or motion blur is enabled...or both. I tried stopping the ticks when pawn was disabled but that didn't seem to do anything (set Pawn bTickIsDisabled True).

Oh, and tiledshot is a complete mess as usual. Works fine until you add some "effects" into the equation and then you get strange tiling happening. It does get rid of the HUD though!
  • standard tiledshot issue. Is useful only wher is not too much effects (bloom, glares, blur etc)
  • Tiledshot is so 2013, amirite?
  • edited October 2014
    After some testing, it looks like the game crashes when using "set Pawn bStatic true" and the game time speed is being changed/ controlled by the game, like when you use rage or an enemy slams you and it goes into slomo for a short period of time. If you use this command at that time then the game seems to crash every time. I dug a bit and found a couple variables that seem to control slow downs during certain sequences and disabling these seems to make the crashing less frequent but it still occurs during some scripted slow downs.

Bindings=(Name="J",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHitImpactSlowDown false") ;stops timestop crash
    Bindings=(Name="J",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombatHitImpactSlowDown true",Alt=True)
    Bindings=(Name="K",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombat300SlowMo false") ;stops timestop crash
    Bindings=(Name="K",Command="set WGame.WUIViewportClient mCombat300SlowMo true",Alt=True)

Another issue with this (very useful) feature is that the attack gore (damage) on Logan is all fixed immedietly when using "set Pawn bStatic true". With this in mind I wanted to find a solition that wouldn't crash the game randomly and wouls allow the damage effects to remain; this is where our old fall back slomo comes into play! Using the lowest value for slowmo (0.01 I think but I used 0.0001 to be safe - couldn't see any difference between the two though) allows all of the above to work and gives you "some" time to orient the camera as you position it with Cheat Engine. Not ideal but it looks to be a viable alternative for getting action shots during the scripted slow downs. The added bonus is the the "motion blur" effects are retained as well.

Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="Slomo 0.0001") ; think this value only goes to two decimal places
    Bindings=(Name="F4",Command="Slomo 0.1",Alt=True)
    Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="Slomo 1")
    Bindings=(Name="F5",Command="Slomo 0.3",Alt=True)

Also;
    1. added new binds for "undying" - you take damage but do not die, "infinite Rage", and disabling effects - this disables "claw trails" as well as most other effects. These can be toggled on/off at will.
    2. Method to get one of Wolverine's extra costumes. His "classic look"!

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm currently testing these TextureStreaming settings and just increasing the poolsize to 1024 seems to have helped with the stuttering. First look seems like the textures are coming in the same at 30MP as 1080p but may need to try in some different areas to be sure.
    [TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=1024
    HysteresisLimit=30
    DropMipLevelsLimit=20
    StopIncreasingLimit=15
    StopStreamingLimit=10
    MinFudgeFactor=1
    FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=0.5
    FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=-0.4
    MinRequestedMipsToConsider=11
    MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=2
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
    UseTextureFileCache=TRUE
  • I say bump that find up to the OP, OP.
  • edited October 2014
    Midhras said:

I say bump that find up to the OP, OP.

Not completely sure it fixes the textures though, The other settings do have some stuttering/loading issues but I know they load the correct textures...and I'd rather have high(er) resolution textures with a random hiccup than spotty low res ones. Will be taking some sample comparison shots tomorrow and update then if it is all good.

Edit: OK, after a number of test shots it looks like just changing the PoolSize to 1024 allows the textures to stream in at high resolutions. I only tested up to about 33MP though. Also looks like I wasn't seeing the same stuttering problem. There is still stuttering when new parts of a level are loaded but this happens at 1080p as well.
  • You can increase the time decals (marks on walls and objects) such as cuts and blood splatter stick around and the number of corpses littered around the place before they start to magically disappear. make the following changes in the WGame.ini file. Change these to what you want.
    [WGame.WGamePawn]
    mCorpseLimit=30

[Engine.DecalManager]
    DecalLifeSpan=30.0

[added to OP]
  • All that talk about texture streaming - did you manage to work out the kinks with it in the Transformers games?
  • I think so yes. I really couldn't tell if there were hitching problems though as my GPU at the time was hitting the wall on the resolution alone. I'll need to have another look now that I have one that can run them at those resolutions. From what I could tell the textures were coming through properly though...which in the end is what I was after.

One change may be to modify the poolsize value down from what it is set to in those Transformers guides though, as it looks like anything above 1024 may be more detrimental than beneficial.
  • edited October 2014
    I made this for myself but I figured it would be useful for y'all here :)
    (README included with instructions)

This includes:

-Toggle the entire HUD on and off with the TAB key
    -Removes the claw trails visual effects (without removing other effects like gore)
    -Removes the rage orbs (you collect them automatically so you don't need to see them anyway)
    -Removes the weird explosion effect when you punch enemies

Basically makes it look more cinematic and less gamey... also useful for taking screenshots I guess.