Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GUIDE] Alien: Isolation

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Some interesting finds by looking into the addresses provided by Hattiwatti. One of the post effects you can toggle on and off is a very slight screen distortion. Not sure what its artistic purpose is but it distorts the game's jaggies, which is why its antialiasing seems so ineffective and why my offline AA method doesn't work. Turning the effect off should result in improved AA.

Not sure if it's some kind of retro screen curvature effect.

UPDATE: I now have override toggles and parameter control for effects like the above, vignette, bloom, etc. Will add to the table shortly.

Yup, that value is certainly a kind of camera barrel distortion effect. Might explain why portrait shots occasionally look a little weird.

Found the value for dirt on the lens.
  • Time stuff at 01C3D080.

Your addresses aren't the same as mine. Mine is going to be ****D080 for that. Is there another way I can find it?
  • edited October 2014
    Just search an unknown double and use increase when the game is running and unchanged when in menu. You'll end up with a value that represents how long the game has been running (not including the menu I think)
    And yea the offsets are a bit weird for me. I've done like 5 PE dumps and it feels like they change everyday and the offsets are wrong again :=
  • Interesting. So you find how long the game has been running, and that lets you find the simulation speed \ slow motion?
  • edited October 2014
    djh_ said:

I'm hopefully going to score some debug code because I doubt I'll find timestop, and nothing less will do when old Penishead McGiger makes an appearance.

When it came to the alien I had to use a trainer that disabled melee attacks from working in order to get close, this turns the creature into a dog that constantly follows you around looking for affection, gets really problematic when it pushes you into a corner and refuses to move thus locking you in place (Load checkpoint.) or when it pushes too hard and you get sent through the environment (clipping issues.) into the void (Load checkpoint, again.) but it has otherwise worked OK for looking at the creature up close, really good work by whoever designed and modeled that creature for the game, lots of little details as well such as smaller tube like objects and such stuff. :)

Unfortunately the only trainer that has this (From what I know.) is Cheat-Happens and that means it involves payment.
    (I joined up back in 2005 - 2006 somewhere, I like the work they're doing even if I don't agree with some of their other choices.)

EDIT: It ends up like this:
    http://postimg.org/image/tij34wrof/full/ (Showing the detail of the Alien model, if there had been a reflection effect in the window this could have been a OK image with some more work.)
    http://postimg.org/image/n3k288kyn/full/ (Same, trying to show the Alien model but here it's in better light.)

(Shame there's no slider for chromatic aberration strength like there is for film-grain but yeah these are pretty terrible screenshots but it's just to show that you can get close to the creature, of course compared to stopping time in the game and thus more fully controlling the scene this pretty poor.)
  • I thought it'd lead me to deltatime and it did.
    http://4st.me/96iNC.png Change the marked byte to 0 and then mess with the marked float. Going really slow makes the motion blur effect spazz out though and it's very unstable.
  • Heh, I'd just found it myself if you can believe that. It gave Veronica Cartwright the hiccups when I put the time too slow, and buried her in the floor on another occasion. I don't use motion blur so didn't notice that.

You're right about the pointers. Next challenge.
  • So is it usable or no?
  • Haven't properly tested it yet. You could slow things to a stop essentially when I tried it, but it wasn't an immediate effect. Glitches galore, too. If you see a load of shots of a xenomorph appear on the site and hear the distant sound of carnival music, you'll know it works.
  • edited October 2014
    This particular timestop's a bust, I'm afraid. It's like a version of Unreal's slomo command that breaks the characters and occasionally yourself. I haven't managed one shot of the xeno and doubt I could all night.

EDIT: Though it does actually stop certain parts of the environment in the process of breaking everything else.

And you can set it to -1 and make the xeno do the boogaloo.
  • First post, Hi. Joined to join in with this discussion. I've been playing around with the config files for a while - trying to turn the Alien's (Or any others) AI off or at least make it become friendly I think this is possible. As far as I can tell, everything is in XML or BML files, and it's just finding the right part to replace or edit.

However, I do not have the skills to do this yet. I am slowly trying to understand how it works.
  • edited October 2014
    Sounds like game speed is not the way to go. We'd probably need something more akin to what you did in Darksiders 2.
  • iGestalt said:

First post, Hi. Joined to join in with this discussion. I've been playing around with the config files for a while - trying to turn the Alien's (Or any others) AI off or at least make it become friendly I think this is possible. As far as I can tell, everything is in XML or BML files, and it's just finding the right part to replace or edit.

However, I do not have the skills to do this yet. I am slowly trying to understand how it works.

I'd be interesting to see those, for sure. I know some people have been probing them. You can actually already make the alien sort-of friendly using the Cheat Happens trainer, which turns off its melee attacks. It just follows you around then, though will still kill you if it decides to use one of its scripted attacks.
  • Yeah - I read about that above. in the DATA folder, there is ALIEN_ATTACK_DATA which doesn't seem to do anything but does let you change the faction? Unsure the point of this file. There is also ConditionTargetIsPlayer in a few of the XML behavior files. Really unsure how to edit or do anything with these though.
  • Problem with XML editing is that you're dealing more with game rules than realtime game behaviour. You could probably gimp the alien but that wouldn't really help for screenshots because he still wouldn't pose for you.