Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UE3 Engine Tweak Questions

Comments

• edited September 2014
    bMaxQualityMode is usually meant for the UDK editor as far as I know, it's also set to true in Bulletstorm for some reason but otherwise most games tend to get a bit glitched if you enable it since it activates some (higher-quality.) form of self-shadowing that's not often supported so some areas or characters turn pitch black.
    (I don't think I've seen a single other game than Bulletstorm so far where it actually works problem free.)
  • Has anyone tackled the Splinter Cell games before, post Chaos Theory, because the games use this weird hybrid Unreal Engine 2.5 ( LEAD [Modified Unreal Engine 2.5] and HAVOK Physics)

I've looked at the games configs and there isn't anything obvious to change, just wondering if there are tools that are out there for any of the splinter cell games, or if anyone knows tweaks for the engine?

If not,

I'll just have to keep trying to tweak "Game of Thrones RPG" :P
  • GeDoSaTo now conforms properly to your desktop resolution regardless of aspect ratio. So if you are downsampling from 3000x4000 -> 2560x1440, the game will be pillarboxed to 1080x1440.

# Whether to maintain the aspect ratio if different ratios between input and output
    # false = stretching
    # true = pillar/letterboxing
    maintainAspectRatio true

And since GeDoSaTo allows you to use several different resolutions now, you can switch between different aspect ratios easily now. My GeDoSaTo resolutions looks something like this now:

#16:9
    renderResolution [email protected]

#3:4

#2:1

#21:9

presentWidth 2560
    presentHeight 1440

After seeing Jim post this in the GeDoSaTo thread I decided to try to automate the resolution changes in the UE3 game I'm currently experimenting with. I chose MOHA as it seems to be completely open.

You can bind the setres command to keybinds. This in conjunction with the above resolution settings opens things up a bit in games that do not allow you to change resolutions on the fly.

In Spec Ops I added the below binds so I could play the game at a regular FPS and then switch the resolution to 5120x2880 when taking a screenshot. Unfortunately only seemed to work with 16:9 AR.
    Bindings=(Name="Seven",Command="setres 1920x1080")
    Bindings=(Name="Eight",Command="setres 5120x2880")

In MOHA I had more luck and was able to force any AR I wanted. These all worked.
    Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="setres 1920x1080")
    Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="setres 5120x2880")
    Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="setres 3600x4800")
    Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="setres 5760x2430")

• One3rd said:

In MOHA I had more luck and was able to force any AR I wanted. These all worked.
    Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="setres 1920x1080")
    Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="setres 5120x2880")
    Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="setres 3600x4800")
    Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="setres 5760x2430")

I never realised that MOHA was on UE3, when I was in hospital I got this to play on my laptop but played it once (for 5 minutes) and then started playing Mount and Blade, mainly cause the laptop sucked.. but now I can play it.. I might make a guide for tweaking and commands for screenshots, unless you already planned on doing that.. if so I won't
  • cicala said:

I never realised that MOHA was on UE3, when I was in hospital I got this to play on my laptop but played it once (for 5 minutes) and then started playing Mount and Blade, mainly cause the laptop sucked.. but now I can play it.. I might make a guide for tweaking and commands for screenshots, unless you already planned on doing that.. if so I won't

If it turned out to be worth a guide I was going to yes. It looks like almost all UE3 commands and binds are open so the guide would be pretty stock standard for UE3 engine games.

Still sort of poking around in it though to see if the visuals can be plumped up a bit. It's a bit flat in most areas and isn't the best example of the engine...although it was released in 2007 I believe so that sort of does explain the textures and lack of shading options due to the available hardware at the time.

I'd really like to see if the following could be improved before writing a guide on it.
    1. Improve shadows.
    2. Add AO.
    3. Get control over DOF...part way there using the sniper rifle scope.
    4. Increase the cull distance for terrain and objects. Way too near by default.
  • edited September 2014
    One3rd said:

cicala said:

If it turned out to be worth a guide I was going to yes. It looks like almost all UE3 commands and binds are open so the guide would be pretty stock standard for UE3 engine games.

Still sort of poking around in it though to see if the visuals can be plumped up a bit. It's a bit flat in most areas and isn't the best example of the engine...although it was released in 2007 I believe so that sort of does explain the textures and lack of shading options due to the available hardware at the time.

I'd really like to see if the following could be improved before writing a guide on it.
    1. Improve shadows.
    2. Add AO.
    3. Get control over DOF...part way there using the sniper rifle scope.
    4. Increase the cull distance for terrain and objects. Way too near by default.
    1, 2 and 4 'sound' possible (3 I would have no idea on, probably wouldn't be simple), keep in mind I'm not doing the guide right at this moment, I too gotta play (and look at) the game more :D might just play the game campaign once over while I'm at it, I haven't played a game properly since last year :/

HILARIOUS NOTE:
    Tiledshots get motion blurred..

The commands I did for my Alpha Protocol guide work flawlessly, console can be activated with the shortcut target change, and someone was kind enough to list a bunch of commands to muck about with.
    Commands @ Modtheater

oh wow:
  • cicala said:

1, 2 and 4 'sound' possible (3 I would have no idea on, probably wouldn't be simple), keep in mind I'm not doing the guide right at this moment, I too gotta play (and look at) the game more :D might just play the game campaign once over while I'm at it, I haven't played a game properly since last year :/

I'll put what I've got so far into a WIP Tweaks thread.
  • edited September 2014
    1. Environmental shadows will be baked into the map and so there's nothing you can do about those. You should be able to improve shadows cast by characters and any self-shadowing on the models, though bear in mind that lights in UE3 are often few and far between.

2. You'll be able to force AO through something like Nvidia Inspector, and maybe GeDoSaTo has made progress in that regard. Just bear in mind that light fall-off and shadowing might also be baked into certain unique textures and so you could end up with weird results.

3. If certain game actions turn the DoF on and off then you can possibly trigger it through Cheat Engine. Just bear in mind that a 2007 UE3 game won't have the fanciest DoF.

4. You won't be able to improve object and terrain draw distance in a UE3 game. Distance culling is specified in UnrealEd and applied separately to primitives and cull distance volumes. Source Engine games work in much the same way, which is why you can't just 'up the draw distance' in Half-Life 2. Every object in the map will have its own distance from which it can be seen. Texture mipmapping/LOD is about the only exposed variable and the results are pretty limited.
  • cicala said:

Tiledshots get motion blurred.

Tiledshot is a hack which degrades any shot in which screenspace effects are applied across multiple pixels. You'll need to disable light shafts and motion blur in the ini if you're going to use it, and set up a keybind to disable any vignette effect or similar that's applied to the screen edges. Furthermore, it shrinks the radius of bloom and other lighting effects in proportion to the amount of upscaling being done, which means you're deviating from the game's intended lighting scheme. Shots featuring these effects will look devoid of atmosphere because the effects aren't being applied correctly.

In short, tiledshot is an outdated technique which has been superseded by downsampling.
  • 1. Will look into the shadows.
    2. I looked for some driver AO bits but wasn't able to find any, might need to ask on the right forum though.
    3. The DOF is not the best but it does help hide some the very low detail textures. I might need to sink my teeth into cheat engine on this as it can partially be controlled with playersonly. Ideally I'd like to be able to change the focal length from the console though...this does look to be a variable in the scope DOF settings if we can control it.
    4. This sucks...the game looks very barren in most areas due to this cull. Good information to know though!

On another note, I've written a new thread on this but it says it is waiting for admin approval? Haven't seen that before.
  • edited September 2014
    One3rd said:

On another note, I've written a new thread on this but it says it is waiting for admin approval? Haven't seen that before.

I kept coming across that for a few weeks ago, and couldnt post on this site
    djh_ said:

cicala said:

Tiledshots get motion blurred.

In short, tiledshot is an outdated technique which has been superseded by downsampling.
    And some people don't have exotic hardware, of course that said its no excuse to try and pass up shit screens.. with tiled if I can make it work, I will make it work. Anyway here is a test shot:
    Stats: Tiledshot 7 128, compat flag. 0x00000045, 8xMSAA + 8xSSAA (not sparse grid wasn't working right) 1100x1440 source res, tiledres 7700x10080, bmp size ~220MB
    I think sky needs to be fixed, have not changed any settings regarding skybox as of yet

• edited September 2014
    Yes, that banding is pretty bad. But the sky textures aren't that hires anyway. What downsample filter did you use?

As for IQ, I seem to be getting some fairly nice AA with large resolutions and SMAA (or FXAA). Does driver forced AA even make it in to tiledshot though? I remember this not working with some UE3 game I tried in the past. This was at 5120x2880.
  • edited September 2014
    Betrayer is probably the best case scenario for tiledshot. That game seems to benefit a ton from 16K resolutions.

Also, I actually forgot that MOHA existed. I remember thinking that game looked incredible when I played the demo for the first time. I never did get the full version of the game though.
  • edited September 2014
    At the time it was incredible...now I'm not so sure yet. Gameplay is how I remembered it though! A light shooter with an almost un-corridor like appeal to it.
  • edited September 2014
    One3rd said:

At the time it was incredible...now I'm not so sure yet. Gameplay is how I remembered it though! A light shooter with an almost un-corridor like appeal to it.

only 1100x1440 (setres very handy thanks for telling me good when in window).. next time I might use a downsample res
    but I need to disable the SSAA... the Tiledshot does "look" like it has it applied.. but then again I am no expert.. you'd have to give it a shot I guess

Betrayer is probably the best case scenario for tiledshot. That game seems to benefit a ton from 16K resolutions.

Also, I actually forgot that MOHA existed. I remember thinking that game looked incredible when I played the demo for the first time. I never did get the full version of the game though.

Much better than the newer MOH games.. I need to play MOH 2010 again seeing as SP mode is in Unreal Engine 3 and surprisingly they use Frostbite 1.5 for the MP mode... very weird combo

EDIT:
    Dxtory, PNG, downsampled "5120x2880", rescaled jpeg to site limit
    Tiledshot 7, 128.. downsampled 5120x2880 making tiled res "17920x9709", rescaled to site limit

djh_ you're with bloom/postprocessing, but even then with the above image, its not adding much with it on.. well for me anyway.

had SSAO enabled with Gedosato, but have no idea if its working correctly, so I guess these images can be used for reference :/
    Medal of Honor 2010
    So Medal of Honor 2010 version is locked up tight.. I have no clue how to enable the usual binds.. :?