Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UE3 Engine Tweak Questions

Does anyone know why UE3 Engine games have this blue "sheen" on character models at a distance? I've noticed it in a number of UE3 games and thought it was something I was introducing when modifying TEXTUREGROUP settings but I'm not so sure now. I've just set all my ini files in Bulletstorm back to default and still see this effect on distant models. It is a lot more prominent when there is lack of a direct light source in the scene as well. Is there any way to reduce it?

Comments

• Playing through the game a bit more, it looks like the blue highlights are a game mechanic to allow you to know who to target. As enemies are no longer a threat they lose this blue highlighting. Would still like to get rid of it though!

Another issue I've noticed that is an issue with UE3 engine games is the character mesh degrading over distance. Farther off characters have a lower quality mesh than that same object close up. Normally not a problem as moving towards that character loads in the higher quality mesh but this process stops when frozen with playersonly. Does anyone know a way to force the engine to load the highest quality character meshes all the time instead of basing this on the players distance?

See Trishka's angular shoulders for a small example of what I mean. This becomes a lot more prominent the farther you are from the character model when enabling playersonly.
  • K_putt said:

I tried it with Spec Ops: The Line. And everything works. Well, at least the ones Duncan provided. Didn't find out how to get the normal freecam commands working.

In the end were you able to get rid of the player model in Spec Ops? I can't seem to do this with the commands in this thread.
  • It's a 3rd person game. Do you mean hide your whole character?
  • It's a 3rd person game. Do you mean hide your whole character?

Yes, that is what I meant. I want to remove the character from view.
  • I don't think there's any command to do that in any 3rd person game. You're stuck with wall-hugging.

Finding the camera for this game wasn't hard but trying to change them causes the game to crash. I might take another crack at it though.
  • set pawn drawscale 0

Never know. Might work.
  • edited August 2014
    djh_ said:

set pawn drawscale 0

Never know. Might work.

Holy shit! That worked. It removes the player model.

Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="set pawn drawscale 0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="F2",Command="set pawn drawscale 1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

EDIT: Spoke to soon. =) It removes *all* player models including enemies and allies as well.
    EDIT2: Looks like it doesn't hide all enemies, found some are still visible when using this..maybe ones that are not currently targeting the player?
  • That would make sense as pawn is the base class for pretty much all the characters in an Unreal game. The player class is an extension of that, so if you can identify what the player class is called then the above command should work for it. Have a look through the ini files for clues. Chances are it's being configured somewhat in there.
  • edited August 2014
    djh_ said:

That would make sense as pawn is the base class for pretty much all the characters in an Unreal game. The player class is an extension of that, so if you can identify what the player class is called then the above command should work for it. Have a look through the ini files for clues. Chances are it's being configured somewhat in there.

I found the below line in SREngine.in but using this class will the other command didn't seem to do anything.

LocalPlayerClassName=Engine.LocalPlayer

If this were the right class would the correct syntax be "set Engine.LocalPlayer drawscale 0" or "set LocalPlayer drawscale 0"?

I'll do a bit more digging.

Oh, and bHidden works with the pawn class the same as drawscale to remove (all) character models. Not too useful now though.

Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="set pawn bHidden true",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadTwo",Command="set pawn bHidden false",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
  • That wouldn't be it, no. Any chance you can decrypt and pastebin the SRPawn.ini file? I'm not at home to look at the game myself.
  • Has anyone toyed about with Gears of War 1 on PC?
  • edited August 2014
    djh_ said:

That wouldn't be it, no. Any chance you can decrypt and pastebin the SRPawn.ini file? I'm not at home to look at the game myself.

Yah, I've been looking in that as well. You can find it here.

I thought that [SRGame.YGamePawn_Player] would have been it but using the below bind also toggles the visibility of all models.

set SRGame.YGamePawn_Player bHidden true

Edit: Hmmm...maybe SRGame.YPawn_Walker? Trying now.
  • edited August 2014
    Yup, that was it! The following binds remove the player model from view and (so far) don't seem to affect anything else. Thanks for the help Duncan!

Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="set SRGame.YPawn_Walker bHidden true",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="NumPadThree",Command="set SRGame.YPawn_Walker bHidden false",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=True,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Now if I could only remove vignette and find the GeDoSaTo HUD shader hash I'd be a happy man. =)
  • Now all you need to do is create a 1st person no-clip :P
  • *waiting for batman arkham games tables*

last remnant is not a bad alternative