Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[GUIDE] Tomb Raider

edited February 2016 in Game Specific Guides
Cheat Engine Table
Download table

Google Drive Link

[Camera Coordinates] = F1 to toggle
Numpad 2/8 = Y coordinate
Numpad 4/6 = X coordinate
Numpad 3/9 = Z coordinate

Hold ALT to move farther

[FOV] = F2 to toggle
Numpad + and - to increase\decrease

[Timestop] = F4 to toggle
F5 to pause
F6 to resume

This game can be hotsampled!

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Fixed the disappearing leg! Wooooo.

Duncan mentioned in his shots that he has a "custom cheat engine script to enable timestop." I'd love to know how that was created because that's the only thing we're missing :(
  • edited August 2014
    I was working with code that had a debug menu. When you open the debug menu, the game's timescale is stopped but the simulation continues. That made it relatively straightforward to zero in on the various addresses at work. What I'm effectively doing with my timestop is spoofing the part of the debug menu that stops the game.

It's worth adding that full timestop is not an intended part of even Crystal's version of the game. The most their timestop could achieve was to slow the simulation, not pause it. Nixxes dropped even that function some time during the porting process from 360. The problem you'd have trying to replicate timestop in retail is that it doesn't play nicely with any scripted sequences or cutscenes. The only way I could get it so that the debug free camera (which does movement, tilt, speed adjustment and FOV on the controller, and full debug DoF via a menu) worked during cutscenes was to break the dialogue and lighting timelines that would otherwise just carry on running and mess up the shot. The only way to recover the game after that is to reset the debug menu value, open the debug menu and then restart whichever game segment you were on, which may or may not cause a crash.

Sorry if that isn't much use. I tried using the timestop in retail once - if you hadn't noticed from my shots, it's hard to keep the visual progression of Lara's injuries, etc, correct when skipping levels - but the addresses had all changed. Not surprising, really, as the debug version I have is a QA build which is some way off retail, and retail has been patched several times.

EDIT: Amusing aside: this is one my favourite shots ever and actually doesn't use timestop.

• edited August 2014
    Well.... damn. I'm sure timestop would work. I wouldn't be surprised if that functionality was still buried in the retail code. Only way to know is if your script used an aobscan instead of a static address for the script. Just sucks without it because you're left with her idle animations.

Also, I discovered last night that my fix for Lara's disappearing leg causes certain screen effects to be disabled (like the sun glare). So I may include 2 FOV scripts and let people choose the best for a particular shot (possible missing leg, or missing screen effects). What a pain, this game.
  • edited August 2014
    I wouldn't know an aobscan if it bit me.

Interesting thing about the disappearing leg. I wonder if that's due to the way the game handles Lara's damage - they use four different Lara models, so maybe you've accidentally corrupted the leg mesh or something?

I was going to mention that there's a whole issue with screen effects and using timestop. Many of the more 'next-gen' screen effects used in the game, including weather effects and those little glittery sprites that float about, are actually drawn in a little box around the camera. If you timestop the game then they no longer follow the camera when you move it, but stay in this conspicuous little space around Lara. It's a pain because it means you lose a certain veneer when you use timestop. Dead Space 3 does the same thing.

BTW, doesn't Deus Ex: Human Revolution use the Crystal engine as well? Does this make you closer to free-camming that?
  • djh_ said:

BTW, doesn't Deus Ex: Human Revolution use the Crystal engine as well? Does this make you closer to free-camming that?

Does this game have a full playermodel while playing? If not, i'm sure it's pretty simple to just change the x,y,z coordinates.
  • edited August 2014
    Deus Ex is a first person game (aside from 3rd person animations). I've never actually used a camera in a first person game. I've always done no-clip (moving your actual character).

The difficulty I had with Deus Ex was with how the game handled gravity. Although I was a noob back then. I could probably do it better now. Maybe I'll look into it. If only this were my job... my wife is already not liking how much time I spent on my computer today :(
  • this table cause glitches/clipping in the game specially in cut-scenes but it's awesome , only thing missing is timestop
  • Actually, I KNOW timestop is possible in this game. When you press escape to bring up the menu, you can still move the camera around. It's just... the damn menu is covering up half the screen. If I could get rid of that menu and add Cheat Engine camera rotation, we could have timestop. Of course, the other way is to figure out how the menu pauses the game. But I don't think it's as simple as scanning for 1s and 0s. It could be a flag that gets set. Or a complicated function call....

Damn menu! If this were DX9 we could use GeDoSaTo to remove the menu :(
  • edited August 2014

Actually, I KNOW timestop is possible in this game. When you press escape to bring up the menu, you can still move the camera around. It's just... the damn menu is covering up half the screen. If I could get rid of that menu and add Cheat Engine camera rotation, we could have timestop. Of course, the other way is to figure out how the menu pauses the game. But I don't think it's as simple as scanning for 1s and 0s. It could be a flag that gets set. Or a complicated function call....

Damn menu! If this were DX9 we could use GeDoSaTo to remove the menu :(

you want to run the game in DX9 ?!! it's easy actually BUT you'll lose tessellation /tressFX and high res shadows

you need two reg files , one to enable DX9 and the other to restore DX11

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhz48ozs4pcf51g/Restore DirectX.rar

btw if anyone is interested in texmods for lara just PM me i got tons of them like hair/eyes colors , hello kitty top :p
  • edited August 2014
    Well, I tried to get cheat engine rotation working first. If I could do that, then I'd look into the menu thing. But alas, I can't get the rotation to be controlled via Cheat Engine. So... no dice.

That shit was easy in Dark Souls. Much harder here. Why can't all games just use the same engine. And come with photo modes. That take downsampled shots for us. Should be standard in all games. Amirite?
  • edited August 2014
    FYI - if anyone wants to try to find camera coordinates for any other 3rd person game, here's how I did this game:

First I found a set of stairs. You want something you can walk up and down a little bit.

I started at the bottom of the stairs and started a scan for floats -> unknown initial value.

Keeping the camera level, I walked up the stars. Scan increased. Walked up some more, scanned increased. Walked down, scanned decreased.

Because cameras are more sensitive than your player, scanning for unchanged values (after not moving) might not work. But if you go into the menu before scanning increased\decreased, you can then safely scan for an unchanged value (because nothing can change when you're in the menu).

Now, in order to separate camera coordinate from my player coordinates, what I'll do is move the mouse down a little while not moving my player, then scanned increased. The reason is because when you point the camera down, the camera actually moves up in the air a little. Then I'd move the move the mouse up and scanned decreased. All the while my player stayed in the same spot. Player coordinates are now going to be out of the address list.

Then I started freezing values and moving the camera up and down. You'll know you've frozen a camera coordinate when the screen flickers. This is because the game is trying to update the camera coordinate, but CE keeps setting it back to the frozen value. Once I narrowed the list down to the only address that caused intense flickering, I'd search for opcodes that wrote to that address. Add opcodes (probably only 1) to the codelist, then I'd right click on it -> replace with code that does nothing.

Now you should be able to walk up and down the stairs with teh camera staying at the same height.

Camera coordinates are usually stored X, Y, Z, so I didn't have to scan to find the others. Just copied my address 2 times in the table and subtracted 0x04 and 0x08 to get the other coordinates. For example...

Z = 11CF88B8
    Y = 11CF88B4
    X = 11CF88B0

I disable the opcodes for all 3 coordinates in 1 script. You can take a look at the coordinate script to see how that's done. You might not always have to do this though. Assassin's Creed 4 only required 1 script to be disabled in order to modify all 3 coordinates.
  • edited August 2014
    I have timestop :)