Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wolfenstein: The New Order Config Tweaks

Any commands that refer to DOF, Hands FOV, anything besides texture filtering/size are locked out. HUD bindings and FOV bindings work. Here are the commands i currently have in my wolfconfig.cfg

g_permaInfiniteAmmo "1"
g_permaGodMode "1"
vt_useCudaTranscode "1"
vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 "8192"
vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly "8192"
vt_pageImageSizeUnique "8192"
vt_uncompressedPhysicalImages "1"
r_fullscreenWindowed "1"
r_mode "21"
image_anisotropy "16"
image_useCompression "0"
vt_maxPPF "128"
vt_lodbias "-2"

Also to get good performance, i set Texture to Ultra (High), PPF to 64 ingame but to 128 in conifg, Shadows to 2048, SSR to Medium or High (in certain areas is intensive) DOF to Medium as it also is intensive and crap. Haze effect to off as it is very intensive and crap. Extra effects to off as the AA Filtering is forced through config. You can also force AA but r_multisamples 4-16. the perma lines are cheats.

Directory is

User\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\base

If you have any questions or find any other discoveries, just hit me up

You can also add commands to your shortcut with the +com prefix. Here are mine.

"C:\Games\Wolfenstein The New Order\WolfNewOrder_x64.exe" +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +com_allowConsole 1 +com_maxfps 120 +r_swapInterval 1 +vt_maxPPF 64 +vt_pageImageSizeUnique 8192 +vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly 8192 +vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 8192 +

Engine is capped at 60fps ingame, so there goes trying out my new 144hz monitor. SweetFX at the moment also does not work due to the game being OpenGL. Despite what most people have thought, iDTech 5 is OpenGL based. No DirectX.

Also K-putt told me about an issue where in game screenshots only captured in 1080p. I can't verify this personally as i am playing in 1080p.

Comments

• Thanks for that Dirty! And i think i got a black image because of a weird bug in afterburner. All good now.

I also made myself a freecam/coordinate x,y,z cheat table. Gonna upload that one here soon.. Just need a bit more testing.
  • "Bind F2 (Or any other key.) toggle g_showhud" will also allow you to directly switch the HUD display on and off with the same button. :)

Otherwise I'm using pretty much the same tweaks as with Rage though I went through all console commands starting with A and then to Z to see what could be altered and what needed to be tweaked.

vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 "8192"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly "4096"
    vt_pageImageSizeUnique "8192"
    vt_pageImageSizeVmtr "8192"
    vt_qualityJXRLossless "1"
    vt_qualityJXRPower "0"
    vt_qualityJXRSpecular "0"
    vt_qualityJXRNormal "0"
    vt_qualityJXRDiffuse "0"
    vt_qualityHDPLossless "1"
    vt_qualityHDPPower "0"
    vt_qualityHDPSpecular "0"
    vt_qualityHDPNormal "0"
    vt_qualityHDPDiffuse "0"
    vt_qualityDCTPower "100"
    vt_qualityDCTSpecular "100"
    vt_qualityDCTNormal "100"
    vt_qualityDCTChroma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTLuma "100"
    vt_uncompressedVmtr "1"
    vt_lodbias "-0.5"
    r_fullscreenWindowed "1"
    r_mode "20"
    r_multiSamples "4"
    image_pngCompressionLevel "0"
    image_screenshotQuality "100"
    image_lodbias "-0.5"
    image_anisotropy "16"
    image_useCompression "0"
    vid_restart
    vt_restart
    vt_reload

That's what the config file looks likeat the moment (test.cfg in the /base folder in the game directory, then just use "exec test.cfg" from the main menu.)

lodbias is just at -0.5 and even that is a bit too sharp, r_mode is just the display resolution with 20 being for 1920x1200 and the multisample command actually defaults (And reverts to) 8 for whatever reason but it does not seem to be full MSAA as that should have a much steeper performance impact whereas here it barely does anything to performance.

Unsure why DiffuseOnly was 512 by default so I only increased it a "litte" and the other "page image size" values are as default though still included (16384 causes the game to crash here.) however the quality commands were changed though they have a pretty minor visual difference.

As with Rage restarting the render (Vid_restart) and then restarting and/or reloading the virtual texture (VT_restart / VT_reload) is needed for some of these settings to apply properly.

vt_anisotropy might also be used to change texture clarity above 4 but it might have issues with higher values and it will reset when the game reloads such as switching checkpoints or loading a save .,

Don't think there's much else, there are many other commands as well but many are also locked, curiously the permanent variant cheats for ammo and godmode work but the regular ones are locked which is clearly a oversight and will probably be patched out when the game is updated (A patch is currently in Q&A testing.) and others like g_freecam are entirely locked.
    (As are many other interesting commands and even stuff like com_skipintro or what it's name was.)

• edited May 2014
    does 8xMSAA cause texture pop-up ?!!

geforce made an article about graphics tweaks

edit: it's the article about RAGE

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

After maxing out in all the in game setting
    at user/Saved Games/MachineGames/Wolfenstein The New Order/Base/Wolfconfig.cfg
    go right to the bottom
    example 2560x1080

vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly 16384
    vt_pageImageSizeUnique 16384
    vt_pageImageSizeVmtr 16384
    vt_uncompressedPhysicalImages 1
    vt_useCudaTranscode 2
    r_mode 17
    r_multiSamples 8

adding the cudatranscode.. no hit from the MSAA 8X.

16x will take a hit.
  • edited May 2014
    "Also K-putt told me about an issue where in game screenshots only captured in 1080p"

but over console you can do screenshot with downsampling resolution. Working same command as in Rage

"screenshot blends 64 XY.tga"

problem is aspect ratio . I have in menu only 16:9 resolutions
  • Run it windowed and resize with SRWE. You might have to toggle off the aspect ratio enforcement cvar, though I forgot what it's called. If it's anything like a certain other idTech 5 game then it should automatically adopt whatever AR and resolution the window's at.
  • Marcelus said:

"screenshot blends 64 XY.tga"

All those commands only capture a black image for me.
    djh_ said:

Run it windowed and resize with SRWE. You might have to toggle off the aspect ratio enforcement cvar, though I forgot what it's called.

You mean Borderless Window Gaming. SRWE doesn't support/find x64 applications. And was it "r_mode -1" ?
    I have some problems with 3:4 tho. The game squishes the image.

Didn't try "r_mode -1" with the "read-only" config-file yet.
  • Sorry, yes, Borderless Window Gaming. It wasn't r_mode -1 in the game I tried. It was an explicit thing like r_forceAspectRatio (but probably not exactly that). Could have been unique to that game, though.
  • @K_putt

screenshots over console working good for me. Maybe AMD issue.

r_mode -1 do not do nothing and if i ad custom resolution in config game run still in 16:9
  • edited May 2014
    cvaradd and cvarrandom can be used to ovveride some (Or all?) of the restricted cvars though not all of them work properly when altered, also devmap and slowmap work unrestricted but won't override the lock on cvars and slowmap seems to crash the game.

For example take com_skipintrovideo.

com_skipintrovideo 1 in the console prompt will give the message that the cvar is locked in the retail version however if you use cvaradd com_skipintrovideo 1 it'll bump it from 0 t 1, if you were to use it again it would say that 2 is a invalid value (Since you with this command added 1 to the command.)

Similarly cvarrandom com_skipintrovideo 0 0 would force it to 0 and 1 1 would force it to 1
    (You can use other values too.)

However some commands like I said won't properly work even with this, take g_freecam for example.

If you use it as a normal cvar you'll again get the "this is locked in the retail version" message but by using the above such as cvaradd g_freecam 1 you can actually override and use the command and this can be seen by the camera switching position however it does not seem to actually let you roam around so I'm still experimenting with what can be done this way.

This is a old method for cheating in Quake 3 games, more specifically Soldier of Fortune 2 where the console commands were all locked in the non-beta (Beta leaked for that game.) retail version where this could be used to override that lock.

As some of the other commands this is to me a clear oversight and will probably be corrected in a future update by ensuring the cvars are completely locked but for now this could be useful.
    (Unless Bethesda somehow were to go the other way and release a fully unlocked build as with Rage and it's optional 64-bit version which was included with the mod SDK.)

EDIT: Experimented a bit further, it does seem that even though you can set any cvar this way some of them won't properly take so the restrictions on them is likely deeper, still it's fun to experiment and see what can be done even if it doesn't always work fully as hoped. :)
  • After I used the exec command to load the cfg the game runs fullscreen on my secondary monitor (the one on the right) and I can't get it back to the primary one.

Any ideas how I can fix that?
  • cvaradd and cvarrandom can be used to ovveride some (Or all?) of the restricted cvars

Thanks a lot for this! Timestop works with those commands :)

cvarrandom g_stoptime 0 0
    cvarrandom g_stoptime 1 1
    djh_ said:

It was an explicit thing like r_forceAspectRatio (but probably not exactly that).

No, you're right. It was that command!

Again, locked. But cvarrandom r_forceAspectRatio 0 0 works here as well. Now i only need to figure out the value for 3:4 since "0" (custom AR) doesn't really work. The image is still squished.
  • cvarrandom hands_show 0 1
    cvarrandom hands_show 1 2

For enabling and disabling the weapon works too.
  • Well this all looks very promising. Just tried out most of what's been discussed and it's pretty much identical to how Rage worked. I just wish I could remember what command I was using for the freecam prior to the game being announced. I'm almost certain it was noclip because I was flying about the place with guns out the whole time, which would mean that this g_freecam is a red herring. That said, noclip's not recognised in retail, so maybe it's been completely removed.

Portraits are indeed not working due to the AR. This was never a problem in 'the other' idTech game, but then that has a completely bespoke FOV solution. Still, you could crop down from 4:3, I suppose.

The ghetto hack I used for the very first Rage set I did works, btw, which is using pm_normalviewheight to fake an up/down freecam. Far from ideal but there you go.
  • lodbias is just at -0.5 and even that is a bit too sharp

IIRC, the game uses that noise and sharpening algorithm from the updated Rage by default, so without turning it off you're going to end up with sharp everything.

• edited May 2014
    Yes heres my wolfconfig now:

g_permaInfiniteAmmo "1"
    g_permaGodMode "1"
    vt_useCudaTranscode "1"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUnique "16384"
    r_fullscreenWindowed "1"
    r_mode "21"
    vt_maxppf "128"